The 2023 Jeep Renegade stands out in the crowded subcompact SUV market, blending off-road capabilities and urban practicality.
What is New in the 2023 Jeep Renegade
Jeep has made several significant changes to the Renegade in 2023. The discontinuation of the Sport trim level and the introduction of the Upland Edition package bring a fresh look and feel to the lineup. This new package offers distinct styling cues, four-wheel drive, and rugged tires, catering to the adventurous spirit of Jeep enthusiasts. Additionally, Jeep has reshuffled features across various packages and trims, maintaining the Renegade’s appeal in its first generation since its debut in 2015.
2023 Jeep Renegade Pros and Cons
- Trailhawk’s Off-Road Prowess: The Trailhawk model remains the crown jewel in the Renegade’s lineup with its exceptional off-road capability. This trim level is designed for the path less traveled, equipped with a raised suspension and all-terrain tires.
- Agile Handling: The Renegade offers nimble handling, making it a joy to drive in urban environments.
- Tech-Savvy: The SUV has easy-to-use technology features, enhancing the driving experience.
- Pricey with Extras: The Renegade can become expensive when optioned with desirable features.
- Interior Space Constraints: The SUV struggles with a small cargo area and tight backseat legroom, particularly for adult passengers.
- Wind Noise Issues: Its boxy design, while stylish, contributes to noticeable wind noise at highway speeds.
2023 Jeep Renegade: Pricing and Recommended Models
The 2023 Jeep Renegade offers a range of models to suit different preferences and needs. With prices spanning from the more affordable Latitude to the high-end Limited trim, there is a Renegade for every type of driver. Here is a breakdown of the pricing for each model and recommendations on which one to choose.
- Price: $29,445
- Features: The Latitude is the entry-level model, offering essential elements for daily driving.
- Price: $30,675
- Features: The Upland uses more rugged exterior styling, adding character and functionality.
- Price: $30,940
- Features: The Altitude model blends style and comfort, offering a unique aesthetic appeal.
- Price: $31,740
- Features: This special edition model adds exclusive design elements and attributes to a distinct look and feel.
- Price: $33,565
- Features: The Trailhawk is tailored for off-road enthusiasts, with features that enhance its all-terrain capabilities.
- Price: $34,565
- Features: The Limited represents the top-of-the-line model, offering luxury and advanced features for a premium driving experience.
Which One to Buy
For those looking to use their Renegade for rugged outdoor adventures, the Trailhawk model is the ideal choice, given its enhanced off-road capabilities and robust features. However, the Upland model stands out as a compelling option for a balance of style, functionality, and value.
Upland Model: A Balanced Choice
- Price: $30,675
Why Choose the Upland?: The Upland edition strikes a perfect balance between ruggedness and everyday usability. It distinguishes itself with more aggressive exterior styling than the base Latitude model. This trim includes 17-inch aluminum wheels, a 7.0-inch digital gauge display, ambient interior lighting, and in-dash navigation, making it both practical and stylish.
The Upland model is especially suitable for those who appreciate the Jeep’s off-road heritage but do not require the full off-road prowess of the Trailhawk. It offers a mix of aesthetic appeal and functional features, making it an excellent choice for daily driving with occasional light off-road adventures.
Cost to Drive: Economical or Expensive?
Jeep’s 2023 Renegade Latitude model, the most popular in the lineup, presents an interesting case regarding driving costs. Based on the North Dakota standards, the monthly fee to operate this model is about $194. This figure is slightly above the average for compact SUVs. While the Renegade is not the most economical option in its class, it still maintains a reasonable cost-to-drive ratio.
2023 Jeep Renegade Performance
The Renegade delivers a stable and planted driving experience, especially in urban settings. However, it does not excel in any particular performance metric. The brake pedal feel is uneven, and the vehicle’s acceleration is average for its class.
While the Renegade offers a firm ride, some road imperfections are more pronounced than expected. The larger wheels of the fully loaded models contribute to this firmness, suggesting that models with smaller wheels offer a more comfortable ride.
2023 Jeep Renegade Interior
The interior of the Renegade scores high on roominess and ergonomics. The spaciousness in the headroom and shoulder room is commendable, but the rear legroom could be more extensive. Thick pillars partially obstruct visibility, although large windows somewhat mitigate this issue.
The Renegade shines in its technological offerings. The Uconnect system is user-friendly, and smartphone integration through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto is seamless. The touchscreen display is crisp and responsive, adding to the overall modern feel of the interior.
Cargo space is a drawback for the Renegade. With only 18.5 cubic feet available behind the rear seats, it lags behind its competitors in this area. However, the storage is designed for small items and daily essentials.
Turbocharged 1.3-Liter Inline-Four Engine:
- This engine has been a popular choice in recent models. It’s a turbocharged and intercooled SOHC 16-valve inline-four engine.
- It typically offers a displacement of around 81 cubic inches (1332 cc).
- Power output in past models has been around 177 horsepower at 5750 rpm and torque at 200 lb-ft at 1750 rpm.
- The engine is known for its balance of efficiency and power, providing enough thrust for city driving and off-road adventures.
- The Renegade usually comes with a 9-speed automatic transmission, which includes a manual shifting mode for those who desire more control over the driving experience.
- This transmission is designed to work seamlessly with the engine, offering smooth shifts and optimized fuel efficiency.
- The engine and transmission combination typically provides an agile and responsive driving experience, suitable for both urban environments and off-road conditions.
- The acceleration and power are usually well-suited for a vehicle in the subcompact SUV segment.
- Jeep has been focusing on improving the fuel efficiency of its vehicles. The Renegade, with this engine, often offers a reasonable balance between fuel economy and performance, which is an important consideration for many buyers.
The Renegade is pricier in its class, especially considering the features and value offered at its price point. However, its build quality is solid, and the rough-and-tumble Jeep styling might justify the cost for some buyers.
The Wildcard Factor
The Jeep Renegade truly stands out for its character. The Trailhawk model, in particular, exudes a rugged charm unmatched in its class. This unique personality and off-road capability make the Renegade a compelling choice for those looking for more than a standard subcompact SUV.
Trim Levels and Recommendations
The 2023 Jeep Renegade has three main trim levels: Latitude, Limited, and Trailhawk. Each trim offers a unique blend of features and capabilities:
- Latitude: This trim includes all-wheel drive, a user-friendly infotainment system, and standard safety features. It offers a good balance between price and features.
- Limited: Adds luxury features to the Latitude trim, catering to those looking for a more upscale experience.
- Trailhawk: This off-road-focused trim features a raised suspension, all-terrain tires, and unique design elements.
For most buyers, the Latitude trim offers the best value. It provides various options at a reasonable price, making it versatile for diverse needs.
What makes the 2023 Jeep Renegade unique in the subcompact SUV market?
The 2023 Jeep Renegade stands out for its exceptional off-road capabilities, especially in the Trailhawk trim. Its unique combination of ruggedness and urban practicality, along with Jeep’s iconic design and advanced technology features, sets it apart from other vehicles in its class.
How does the 2023 Renegade perform in terms of fuel efficiency?
The fuel efficiency of the 2023 Renegade is moderate compared to its peers. The EPA estimates for the 1.3-litre engine with four-wheel drive suggest a combined city/highway driving efficiency of 26 mpg. However, real-world testing often shows slightly lower numbers. It is not the most economical choice in its class, but it is reasonable for a vehicle with its capabilities.
Are there any new features or changes in the 2023 model of the Jeep Renegade?
Yes, the 2023 Jeep Renegade has several updates. The Sport trim has been discontinued, and the Upland Edition package debuts, offering distinct styling and enhanced off-road features. Additionally, elements are reshuffled across various packages and trims, adding more customization options for buyers.
What are the main drawbacks of the 2023 Jeep Renegade?
The primary drawbacks of the 2023 Renegade include a higher price point when equipped with additional features, a smaller cargo area, and limited backseat legroom for adult passengers. Additionally, its boxy design, although stylish, can lead to noticeable wind noise at highway speeds.
How does the 2023 Jeep Renegade compare with its competitors regarding interior comfort and technology?
The Renegade offers a comfortable and spacious interior, especially regarding headroom and shoulder room. However, rear legroom can be tight for the class. In terms of technology, the Renegade excels with its user-friendly Uconnect system, high-resolution touchscreen display, and seamless smartphone integration. It stands out for its technological offerings, even if some competitors offer more spacious interiors.
Conclusion: Is the 2023 Jeep Renegade the Right Choice for You?
The 2023 Jeep Renegade remains a strong contender in the subcompact SUV market. Its unique blend of off-road capability and urban practicality, combined with various technology features, makes it a vehicle that stands out. However, potential buyers should weigh the cons, such as the higher price with additional features and limited interior space, against the pros.
The 2023 Renegade has personality and capability, particularly in its Trailhawk trim. It is suited for those who desire a compact SUV that can handle city streets and adventurous trails with equal aplomb. With its distinct style and Jeep heritage, the Renegade continues to carve out its niche in the subcompact SUV segment.