The 2023 Ram 1500
The Ram 1500, a prominent figure in the full-size pickup truck segment, debuted in its current form in 2019. Continuing to stand out, it holds a place on the 10 best Trucks and SUVs list for 2023. Competing with updated models from Chevrolet, Ford, GMC, and Toyota, the Ram 1500 remains a leader in driving experience and comfort.
Engine Options and Features
The 2023 Ram 1500 offers a choice between a 305-hp 3.6-liter V-6 and a 395-hp 5.7-liter V-8 engine. The Ram 1500 TRX, reviewed separately, boasts a formidable 702-hp for those seeking more power. The truck also features innovative designs like the split-folding tailgate and lockable bed cargo boxes. The massive 12.0-inch infotainment screen is a notable addition, enhancing the vehicle’s luxurious feel.
Special 2023 Updates: The EMS Edition
🎁 Gift yourself a new-to-you truck this holiday!
Come get this pre-owned 2023 Ram 1500 Limited!
Stock #R77310A 🔹 LOW Mileage: 4,336
— Blake Fulenwider of Snyder, CDJR (@BFSnyderCDJR) December 20, 2023
The 2023 model welcomes the Emergency Medical Service (EMS) limited-edition trim. This addition celebrates first responders with unique design elements and a U.S. flag decal. It’s available in Hydro Blue or Bright White and includes a 4×4 Off-Road Group package. Notably, the diesel V-6 option has been discontinued.
Also, read the 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee Review, Pricing, and Specs
Pricing and Recommendations for the 2023 Ram 1500
The 2023 Ram 1500 offers various models to cater to multiple needs and budgets. Here’s a breakdown of the pricing for each model:
- Tradesman: $39,900
- HFE: $41,540
- Big Horn: $45,115
- Laramie: $55,115
- Rebel: $55,930
- Longhorn: $61,875
- Limited: $66,290
Top Recommendation: The Rebel Variant
While the entire lineup boasts impressive features, the Rebel model stands out for its balanced performance, comfort, and capability combination. It’s particularly recommended for those who seek a blend of everyday utility and off-road readiness.
Engine, Transmission, and Performance Analysis of the Ram 1500
Engine Variants and Hybrid System
With its engine options and hybrid technology, the Ram 1500 sets itself apart in the full-size pickup segment. It offers two gasoline powertrains:
- V-6 Engine: This base engine option is enhanced with a 48-volt hybrid system, which helps in improving fuel efficiency and torque.
- 5.7-liter Hemi V-8: Known for its robust performance, the same 48-volt hybrid system also assists this engine. However, it is unique because it can be opted for without the hybrid addition, catering to those who prefer a traditional powertrain setup.
Both engines are paired with a highly efficient eight-speed automatic transmission, ensuring smooth and responsive shifting.
Rebel Model: Off-Road Ready
The Ram 1500 Rebel model is tailored for adventure enthusiasts. It stands out with its rugged design and enhanced capabilities for off-road excursions. This makes the Rebel an attractive option for those seeking utility and the ability to tackle challenging terrains.
Suspension and Ride Quality
One of the most notable features of the Ram 1500 is its innovative rear suspension system. While most pickups in this category utilize a traditional leaf-spring setup, the Ram 1500 employs:
- Standard Coil Springs: These provide a more refined and smoother ride, significantly enhancing comfort compared to conventional setups.
- Optional Air Springs: The air suspension option is a game-changer for those prioritizing versatility and performance. It contributes to a plush ride and offers an adjustable ride height. This feature is particularly beneficial for improving fuel efficiency and expanding off-road capabilities, as it allows for height adjustments based on driving conditions and needs.
Towing and Payload Capacity of the Ram 1500
Impressive Towing and Payload Figures
The Ram 1500 stands out with its substantial towing and payload capabilities. It can tow up to 12,750 pounds and carry a payload of 2,320 pounds. This towing capacity is just shy of the Ford F-150’s, which leads the segment with over 13,000 pounds. However, it’s important to note that the crew cab models, including the Rebel, have a slightly lower towing capacity than the extended cab versions. Despite this, the crew cab Ram 1500 can still confidently tow over 11,500 pounds, showcasing its robust performance.
Fuel Economy and Efficiency
The Ram 1500 offers a range of engine choices, including hybridized V-6 and V-8 options, which have varying fuel economies. The highest efficiency is seen with an EPA-estimated 23 and 20 mpg combined for the hybridized V-6 and V-8, respectively. Real-world testing reveals impressive results, with a gas V-6 Rebel achieving 24 mpg on a 75-mph fuel-economy route. This efficiency surpasses that of the non-hybrid V-8 models, highlighting the benefits of the hybrid system.
Interior, Comfort, and Cargo Features
The Ram 1500 excels in interior design and comfort, offering:
- Spacious and Luxurious Interiors: Higher trims rival luxury vehicles with premium materials, heated and ventilated seats, and panoramic sunroofs.
- Sophisticated Accents: Options include premium leather surfaces and genuine wood accents, elevating the aesthetic and comfort level.
- Crew Cab Spaciousness: The crew cab models provide ample passenger space and impressive interior storage solutions.
- Cargo Bed Options: The truck is available with either a 5-foot-7-inch or a 6-foot-4-inch cargo bed. However, the extended cab only pairs with the longer bed.
- Unique Tailgate Design: The split-folding tailgate is a distinctive feature, adding to the utility and convenience of the truck.
While the Ram 1500 doesn’t offer a regular cab model in its latest generation, the previous generation 1500 Classic is available with this body style for those who prefer it.
The Ram 1500 demonstrates strong towing and payload capabilities. Its fuel efficiency and luxurious interior features make it a top contender in the full-size pickup truck market.
Infotainment and Connectivity in the Ram 1500
Advanced Infotainment Systems
Ram trucks are renowned for their top-tier infotainment systems, a trend that continues in the latest models. The trucks come standard with a highly responsive 8.4-inch touchscreen, which is already impressive. However, there’s an option to upgrade to an even more expansive 12.0-inch touchscreen, available on all models except the base version. While offering an immersive experience, this large screen has shown some glitches during extensive use, as noted in a 40,000-mile long-term test.
Smart Device Integration and User-Friendly Controls
Both the 8.4-inch and 12.0-inch systems are equipped with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility, ensuring seamless integration with most smartphones. Despite the size of the larger touchscreen, Ram has thoughtfully included several redundant knobs and buttons, making the interface user-friendly and intuitive.
Warranty and Maintenance Coverage of the Ram 1500
The Ram 1500 comes with a competitive warranty package, though it’s slightly overshadowed by the Nissan Titan’s more extended coverage. The warranty specifics for the Ram 1500 include:
- A limited warranty covering three years or 36,000 miles
- Powertrain warranty covering five years or 60,000 miles
Lack of Complimentary Maintenance
Unlike competitors like the GMC Sierra, Chevrolet Silverado, and Toyota Tundra, the Ram 1500 does not offer complimentary scheduled maintenance. This may be a consideration for buyers comparing service and maintenance costs among different truck models.
Pros and Cons of the 2023 Ram 1500
- Hybrid Efficiency: Eco-friendly engine options.
- Off-Road Ready: Especially the Rebel model.
- Advanced Infotainment: Responsive and user-friendly.
- Luxurious Interiors: Comparable to premium vehicles in higher trims.
- Impressive Towing Capacity: Stands strong against competitors.
- Infotainment System Glitches: Reported issues with the 12-inch model.
- Lack of Free Maintenance: Not offered as with some rivals.
- Limited Cab Options: No regular cab is available in the latest lineup.
Q1: What is the fuel efficiency of the 2023 Ram 1500?
A1: The hybridized V-6 and V-8 options offer an EPA-estimated 23 and 20 mpg combined.
Q2: Does the 2023 Ram 1500 offer a diesel engine option?
A2: The diesel V-6 option has been discontinued for the 2023 model.
Q3: Can I get a regular cab in the 2023 Ram 1500?
A3: The 2023 model does not offer a regular cab, but the 1500 Classic model does.
Q4: Is the Ram 1500 good for off-road driving?
A4: Yes, especially the Rebel model, designed with enhanced off-road capabilities.
Q5: What are the warranty terms for the 2023 Ram 1500?
A5: It has a 3-year/36,000-mile basic warranty and a 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain warranty.
The 2023 Ram 1500 is a robust, versatile, full-size pickup truck with power, luxury, and practicality. With its range of engine options, including eco-friendly hybrids and its advanced infotainment system, it caters to various needs and preferences. While it excels in comfort and capability, potential buyers should consider the lack of complimentary maintenance, and some reported infotainment issues. The Ram 1500 remains a top contender for work and leisure.